Tom Barbour: The Signings Are Coming! The Signings Are Coming!

By Tom Barbour on Jan 6, 11 11:20 PM in Fans

The transfer season is upon us! While so many people complain about how ridiculous it is I'm going to buck the trend and admit I love it. The drama, the ridiculous sums of money...I'm really just caught up in the romance of it. Which is why I'm furious that there's been so few rumour's surrounding Everton! Could the respective newspapers finally have realized that we have no money? It couldn't be true, could it? Half the fun is in the fact that we know it wouldn't happen, hearing foreign names that could possibly fit on the back of a shirt. It's my favourite time of year. Anyway, I thought I'd give a round up as to what I've heard.

vaughanjuly2010.jpg

According to various sources Everton are interested in David Wheater of Middlesbrough, who I watched play against Leeds a week or so ago, he seems strong and to read the play well, but do we really need another central defender? Especially with Yobo out on loan to Fenerbache, where according to my main source of information (Wikipedia) he's played thirteen times. If we're going to buy someone new I'd like to see us sell Yobo first, but above all I'd like to see Shane Duffy get a chance, he's gotten good reviews in the reserves and the only way we'll ever know is if he's given a chance, or atleast sent out on loan.

There's also been a lot of talk about Micheal Owen who I'm not that keen on, if we could borrow him for the derby so he could just score the winner that'd be great but I don't know if his body can actually stand up to even a half season in the premiership anymore. Beyond him we've been linked to Adam Hammill, of Barnsley, who is originally from the Liverpool Academy, and does look a good prospect on youtube, but then again so do most players.

We were also linked to Tranmere's Dale Jennings, who's lightning quick and could be a very good prospect, only seventeen and already seems Tranmere' star player, though needs to mature some more after his recent red card. Jennings's is a player I'd like to see us sign, but then loan him back to Tranmere, one for the future.

In addition to these players we've been linked to Roque Santa Cruz on loan, but I'd rather we didn't pay his medical bills till May. There's whispering's of Niko Kranjcar in trade for Steven Pienaar which I think would be brilliant if we could pull it off, however why Spurs would be willing to do the deal would be beyond me. Pienaar is of course rumoured out to pretty much every European club in the top leagues, and Saha's been linked to Bordeaux.

pienaarmoyes.jpg

Yakubu's been linked to Leceister with the assistant manager admitting to being interested in him. There both player's I wouldn't mind cashing in on. James Vaughan was apparently on his way to Hull before agent fees ruined that for him and now Cardiff are reportedly interested. While everything so far has been about a straight deal personally I'd rather get no money and see Jay Bothroyd come to Everton, I think he works hard and atleast he's confident.

Beyond that I'd like David Moyes to be looking at David Goodwillie of Dundee, who apparently is on his way out in a cut price deal, and I'll admit I get misty eyed and emotional whenever I see a young Scottish goal poacher, he seems a real prospect. I'd also like to see Moyes looking at Adam Rooney of Inverness (try and ignore the name) as he works hard and has pace, long term I think he could play Cahill's role. In all honesty I know we're looking at loan signings this window, but it doesn't remove my enthusiasm for the window. I look forward to a storming second half of the season run to fourth place!