January 2011 Archives

colemanoct2010.jpg

Transfer Window Deadline Day live blog - from 7am-11pm

IT'S the January transfer window deadline day - and you can keep up to date with all the latest moves, right here.

Everton FC can bridge gap says Seamus Coleman

SEAMUS COLEMAN reckons Everton's FA Cup performance against Chelsea has given them confidence that they can triumph in the replay.

Everton 1 Chelsea 1: Greg O'Keeffe on the Blues' gutsy cup draw

NEVER MIND sweets - the toffee lady should be dishing out motion sickness tablets at Goodison Park this season.

Steven Pienaar has left for Spurs and the aftermath has begun already. Undoubtedly, the winger will be missed, not least for his fantastic partnership with the ever-impressive Leighton Baines. However, his departure need not be destructive, it is not as if Everton are void of options in this position. The best of which, in my opinion, is Diniyar Bilyaletdinov.

The Russian arrived at Goodison Park 18 months ago with a hefty price tag around his neck. A reported £8.9m is, in Evertonian terms, a Fellaini-esque acquisition for the Blues. Despite featuring less prominently than the Belgian, Billy did however manage to match his teammate's debut season return with seven goals which - it is worth considering - is one more goal than Billy's compatriot, Andrei Arshavin's debut season with Arsenal, and in only three quarters the amount of games. Following this, the Russian had an effective pre-season. Notably, scoring two fantastic goals against both Norwich and Everton de Vina.

Is it not therefore absolutely necessary for Billy to be given the chance to develop in such a way? To become if not as integral as Fellaini, at least as impactful as Arshavin? In my opinion, Billy's debut season not only justifies more games but demands it, and Moyes is simply fooling himself by not facilitating it. Time and time again I have seen Billy being brought on post-85 minutes -if not being completely overlooked - and wondered whether there was something up, hoping we weren't dealing with another Van Der Meyde situation.

Steven Pienaar's consistent form and high productivity are of course crucial factors in Bilyaletdinov's limited football. Everton simply revolved around the South African, who happened to play in Billy's favoured position. But I would throw into that argument that Victor Anichebe who, despite some excellent recent performances, is not and will never be a left-sided midfielder, has been given far more opportunity than Billy to stake his claim this term.

Beyond this, Bilyaletdinov is often rumoured to prefer the right midfield position, his much-adored wonderstrike versus Manchester United a clear statement of potential. And though seemingly all Evertonians have been pleased if not delighted with the emergence of Seamus Coleman in this position, can any of them honestly say they would have resented Billy being given a few games here, if for no other reason than resting the Irishman which increasingly evidently is looking to be required.

But for his part, and in contrast to the unreliable Van Der Meyde, Bilyaletdinov's attitude has been first rate. Any opportunity to voice his natural discontent has been ignored in favour of praising the club and reiterating the current goals for the team. And this after Russia's national coach Dick Advocaat stated in August that Bilyaletdinov may have to move in order to retain his place in the national side. This displays exactly the sort of humility and team spirit Moyes aims to instil into each and every Everton player, and it therefore deserves rewarding with a good run of games.

With the coffers at Goodison all too predictably and publicly bereft, how can a player that cost the best part of £9m sit on the bench? It is worth noting than Bilyaletdinov is Everton's third most expensive acquisition. After costly flops in the form of Beattie, Johnson and now seemingly Yakubu, Moyes owes it to Kenwright and the tens of thousands of Evertonians, disappointed time and time again by the manager's regular transfer excitement snuffing, to get the best out of the player. Were Billy not here, surely we could go out and buy two or three decent players to improve the squad. So that not being the case, let's make the best of what we have and play him.

Come on Moyes, the boy has served his spell on the side-lines and has passed the test. Turn that great goal against West Ham into momentum, and get him in the team. Who knows, it may just save this torrid season.

beckforddec2010.jpg
Everton FC's Jermaine Beckford can cause FA Cup chaos for Chelsea - Graeme Sharp

EVERTON legend Graeme Sharp believes Jermaine Beckford can help Everton beat Chelsea at Goodison on Saturday.

Everton FC legend Graeme Sharp hopes current Blues time for FA Cup glory has come

GRAEME SHARP rarely tires of recalling the FA Cup glory of his era - but he is acutely aware that there are some who might.

Victor Anichebe wants to repay Everton FC boss David Moyes

EVERTON striker Victor Anichebe will use his past injury problems as motivation to improve as he seeks to repay manager David Moyes for his faith in giving him a new long-term contract.

The Jury: Everton FC fans on the Chelsea FA Cup tie & the lack of transfer window movement

AS another transfer window is about to pass us by with arguably our best striker and best winger leaving the club, Bill Kenwright's actions are as useless as Andy Gray would be as a star guest on Loose Women.

jagielkajan2011.jpg

Phil Jagielka set to return to boost Everton FC's FA Cup dream

PHIL JAGIELKA is poised to help shore up Everton's defence as they attempt to overcome Chelsea in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Everton FC defender Leighton Baines believes Blues can cause an FA Cup upset against Chelsea

LEIGHTON BAINES is under no illusions that the fourth round FA Cup draw could have been far kinder to Everton.

Former Everton FC striker Andy Gray sacked by Sky Sports after sexism row

FORMER Everton striker and Sky Sports football pundit Andy Gray has been sacked following his comments about assistant referee Sian Massey.

bilyaletdinovaug2010-450.jpg

Diniyar Bilyaletdinov calling for intelligent play from Everton FC

DINIYAR BILYALETDINOV wants Everton to be more "intelligent" and "aggressive" if they are to keep their season alive in Saturday's FA Cup tie with Chelsea.

Everton FC's Leighton Baines hoping to forge a new left-sided partnership

LEIGHTON BAINES is hoping to forge a devastating new left-flank partnership at Everton, after the departure of Steven Pienaar to Spurs.

Middlesbrough Youth 1 Everton FC Youth 0: Charlie Wyke header put Blues out of the FA Youth Cup at the Riverside

EVERTON went out of the FA Youth Cup last night as they lost 1-0 against Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium.

arteta-450.jpg

MIKEL ARTETA is a fabulous footballer who would probably admit himself that he is not playing fabulously at the moment.

In fact it hasn't really happened for Mikel all season. But regardless of his current form, he is one of those players you would always want in your team.

I've heard some supporters suggesting that maybe the time is right to give Mikel a rest and promote Jack Rodwell into the starting line-up.

fellainiwestham_450.jpg

FA Cup can save Everton FC's season says Marouane Fellaini

MAROUANE FELLAINI is determined that Everton can put the disappointment of their faltering league campaign behind them to progress in the FA Cup.

Everton FC 2, West Ham 2: Signs of progress few and far between for deflated Everton

LIKE a torn up old case ball which has been volleyed against too many curbs, Everton's season is deflating rapidly.

David Prentice's analysis: Everton FC's inconsistency flared up once more against West Ham

THERE was a time when a West Ham visit to Goodison was a banker. But while bankers have been discredited in recent years, so, too, has Everton's ability to hand out a Hammering.

David Moyes insists Everton FC can cope with loss of Steven Pienaar

DAVID MOYES believes his squad has the depth to overcome the loss of Steven Pienaar, who made his Spurs debut on Saturday at Newcastle.

bainesaug2010.jpg

Everton FC land highly-rated England prospect Eric Dier on loan

EVERTON have pipped a host of Premier League clubs to the loan signing of teenage England prospect Eric Dier from Sporting Lisbon.

Everton FC star Leighton Baines is club's player of the month

LEIGHTON BAINES insists he would rather focus on Everton's progress in the League instead of taking plaudits after he was named the club's player of the month for December.

We got good deal for Everton FC's Seamus Coleman says Sligo Rovers boss Paul Cook

REMIND people that Seamus Coleman cost Everton just £60,000 and they shake their head with disbelief.

David Prentice: How Harry Redknapp is such a keen admirer of Everton's transfer targets

THERE was a time when transfers between Everton and Tottenham were rarer than pork pie shops on the Seven Sisters Road.

anichebebirminghama450.jpg

Everton FC hoping Victor Anichebe will sign new Goodison deal

EVERTON are increasingly confident Victor Anichebe will sign a new deal at Goodison - although they look likely to miss out on highly-rated Belgium star Jonathan Legear.

Everton FC idol Bob Latchford on the secret to eternal youth! (VIDEO & GALLERY)

YOUNG children playing boisterously in the background isn't an obvious soundtrack when you call a man who's just qualified for a bus pass.

The Jury: Everton FC fans on Steven Pienaar's exit and the Merseyside derby draw

IN the space of a week we have loaned out our most expensive striker who scored on his debut and sold one of our 'indispensable' players - but not to worry, we are not a selling club!

Everton FC's Diniyar Bilyaletdinov: I can fill Pienaar void

EVERTON midfielder Diniyar Bilyaletdinov is keen to help fill the void created by Steven Pienaar's £3m move to Tottenham.

Diniyar Bilyaletdinov listens to father's advice in battle to prove himself at Everton

THERE'S no danger of Diniyar Bilyaletdinov moping around and feeling sorry for himself.

Steven Pienaar confirms he is leaving Everton FC for Spurs

STEVEN PIENAAR confirmed he has played his last match for Everton and will be joining Spurs.

1 2 Next

Recent Comments