Mark Lyness: Blue Kangaroo enters the list of all time Merseyside Derby Greats

By Mark Lyness on Oct 18, 10 05:03 PM in Fans

Tim_Cahill460.jpg

Everton produced the textbook derby performance to brush aside almost embarrassingly average opposition and gain the three points that all Evertonians cherish most, inevitably meaning that there will be a few sore heads for the blue half of Merseyside on Monday morning, mine included.

We had a number of stand out performers on the day, but for me Tim Cahill once again proved why he is held in such high esteem by everyone at Goodison Park. A fifth derby goal means that Tim is now Everton's leading post war derby goalscorer, over taking the iconic Duncan Ferguson in the process.

But in this unusually comfortable and, dare I say it, easy 2-0 victory over our bitter rivals, Cahill covered every blade of the Goodison turf in a talismanic performance, grabbed the goal his performance deserved and celebrated in customary style, lets hope that a few more corner flags take a pasting between now and the end of the season.

Some fans may have considered that with the wealth of midfield talent at David Moyes' disposal that perhaps this Everton team had out grown Tim Cahill, but the Blue Kangaroo showed emphatically why this is not the case and I would suggest that the opposite is true, as the success of Everton's 4-4-1-1 formation depends primarily on Cahill delivering.

It would be wrong of me only to single out Cahill for praise as in fact all of the boys in Blue did us proud. Sylvain Distin produced a fine performance to silence the criticisms of his recent displays, if only Sylvain could produce solid, reliable and composed performances like this every week. Seamus Coleman was as enigmatic and lively as ever in his right wing role and Phil Jagielka and Mikel Arteta produced the dominant displays that we have come to expect from them.

I won't mention our opposition on the day too much, as I think enough has been said about them in the last few weeks. However what I will say is that all the media attention surrounding our neighbours' current predicament should in no way take anything away from Everton's derby victory, and that by being anonymous from this report is a fitting way to sum up Roy Hodgson's side's performance.

Instead the focus should deservedly be on David Moyes and his Everton team who can now start to look up the table after the disappointing start to the season. I've never felt more like singing the Blues...