BARRY HORNE: 3D experiment at Everton shows Sky is the limit for new innovation

By Barry Horne on Jan 30, 10 09:46 AM in Columnists

sunderlandjan2010450.jpg

I AM fortunate enough to occasionally work for BSkyB on their Champions League, international, La Liga and Football First coverage..

On Wednesday, however, I was given the opportunity to be part of a full dress rehearsal for their inaugural 3D presentation.

I turned up at Goodison Park somewhat sceptical. I am a confirmed technophobe and always the last buy into the latest techno- logical advance, so I expected a gimmicky offering.

I came away, however, feeling very impressed. I was left with the impression that once again Sky have put themselves ahead of the pack.

They are currently facing a court battle as a result of the Monopolies Commission questioning their position in the market.

I am guessing they rushed their latest innovation into place to safeguard their place at the head of the field. As far as I am concerned there is no question that Sky have revolutionised just about every aspect of our national game.

Coming along as they did, at the time of other monumental changes - the Bosman ruling and the Lord Justice Taylor Report - Sky have actually put their money where their mouth is investing enormous sums in technology and personnel.

They are sometimes cast as the villains of the piece. But I don't think many football fans appreciate the significance of their involvement in the modern game.

Black Cats so lucky for Blues

THE visit of Sunderland was a perfect fixture to get Everton back on track after the disappointment of Birmingham.

Sunderland were very poor on the night and despite Tim Howard having to make two excellent saves at the end anything less than three points would have been an injustice.

As well as three points the sight of Arteta, Vaughan and Anichebe on the pitch at the end was an indicator of how things are turning for David Moyes. Another three points at Wigan today would give us breathing space ahead of a formidable run of February fixtures.

Last Saturday showed you can never be sure but having secured points against Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Mancheter City in recent weeks with restricted resources we should be looking forward to some epic clashes without fear in the coming weeks.

* I HAVE always been a big fan of Alex Ferguson, but events this week hint at deep uncertainty behind the scenes at Old Trafford and cast him as the little boy with his finger in the dyke.

In the past he has been a master at creating a siege mentality.

But despite the impression of a United front (excuse the pun) his actions in banning TV cameras from Carrington this week hint at an appreciation of troubled times ahead.

Despite predictably brushing aside their nouveau riche neighbours last week, there is no doubt Manchester United's squad is in serious need of investment.

While Liverpool are often criticised for an over-reliance on Gerrard and Torres, where would United be without Wayne Rooney?

In the past Ferguson has been able to cherry pick one or two players every year to top up his squad. But now he is on the verge of having to replace Ferdinand, Vidic, Scholes, Giggs, Van Der Sar and more. This year's title race will surely be between Chelsea and United - and United may well win.

But I would not be as confident of predicting domination in years to come.