Merseyside derby: David Moyes urges Tim Cahill to fire up Everton team-mates

By Greg O'Keeffe on Nov 28, 09 11:56 AM in Journalists

Tim_Cahill460.jpg

DAVID MOYES today called for Tim Cahill to re-create the form which made him the player other teams hate to face.

The Everton boss said the 29-year-old stand-in skipper is the right man to fire his team-mates up, and get their confidence flowing again on derby day.

Australian international Cahill has struggled to reach his usual heights this season, scoring just twice so far and having to play out of position regularly.

He has also missed the influence of his friend Mikel Arteta, who is recovering from a serious knee injury in Spain.

Moyes said: "I think Tim did better in midweek against Hull than he has done this season.

"He is missing one or two of his buddies in the team who have helped him, but he needs to realise now it's up to him to drag everyone along as well and take on a different type of responsibility.

"I speak to him and the other players all the time when I don't think they've been doing it. I don't wait until the derby.

"Tim in the past has come up with really important goals - not just in derby games but against the Chelseas and Man Uniteds and you've seen what he's done for Australia in big games.

"I think he is well aware his form is below what it should be normally."

Moyes, who has rubbished rumours he is considering quitting, will give late derby-day fitness tests to French striker Louis Saha and Jack Rodwell, who limped off against Hull on Wednesday with a groin strain.

Saha has been carrying an injury for several games, and appeared in discomfort towards the end of the Blues' 3-2 defeat at the KC stadium.

Meanwhile Russian winger Diniyar Bilyaletdinov is dreaming of scoring the winning goal against Liverpool at Goodison on Sunday.

The recruit from Lokomotiv Moscow said: "I hope someone scores the winner for Everton on Sunday and I would of course like that to be me! Though it really doesn't matter who it is because it's more important we win the derby.

" If it is me who gets the winning goal then I will be doubly pleased. I know the Merseyside derby is a big match for everyone, the fans and the players.

"Liverpool is a big footballing city and all the fans look only for the two derby games when the fixtures come out. The game will be hard but I believe Everton can win it.

"I have spoken to the others about the derby and they have told me what to expect. I know we go into it fighting and we like to win it."

* Click here for more Everton FC Merseyside derby news