New Signings Provide Light at the End of the Tunnel.

By Tom Barbour on Aug 28, 09 07:52 AM in Columnists

Bilyaletdinov450.jpg

Everton's new signings in the last few days have provided a light at the end of the tunnel in this long transfer window.

Evertonians have been worried whether we will bring in any reinforcements whatsoever but the signing of Diniyar Bilyaletdinov is exciting and one only has to plug his name into you tube to envision him adding a lot to Everton's team, a certain creativity which we have been missing.

But the worrying thing for me in these clips is the amount of space he has on the ball while scoring his goals, because he is unlikely to get that amount of space in the premier league, so he will need to adapt. I imagine if he plays as a winger he'll be on the left and Pienaar will be moved to the right. While it's unfortunate to break up the great relationship between Pienaar and Baines that essentially saved us towards the end of last season it will bring more balance to the squad.

distin450.jpg

Our second signing, (well deal agreed I suppose I should say) is Sylvain Distin, a Portsmouth centre defender. It worried me when I first saw that Moyes was looking to replace Lescott with him, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. We only signed him on a three year contract, by the time its over he'll be about 34. From some of the newspaper reports I've read it's thought we paid around four million pounds for him which isn't a bad deal. Also he's a real commander on the pitch which is something that without Lescott we've been missing. We all saw how scrambled the defence was against Arsenal and hopefully Distin will bring that commanding presence until Jagielka comes back from injury. Yobo is a fantastic defender in my opinion but he just seems to get on with his job, he never really seems worried if anyone else is doing theirs. Also Distin, like Lescott before him can provide cover at left back.

ever-banega-300.jpg

Another signing that has been mooted was the loan of Ever Banega, from Valencia whom Everton managed to acquire a work permit for. That deal seems to have fallen away a lot recently but hopefully we still manage to get him. Hes still young and won the Olympic Gold Medal with Argentina in 2008. He seems to have a bit of a temper problem though, being sent off twice last year while on loan with Athletico Madrid.

The major question I want answering is who is Moyes going to spend the rest of the cash on. Having spent roughly £14 million he should, (if he has been allowed the full use of the Lescott transfer money) still have around £8-10 million left, with the original budget we had possibly being set aside to pay the new contracts. He has said he wants to get four to five targets in, so having secured (hopefully) Distin and Bilyaletdinov that means two or three more. I'm hoping we will get more cover in center back, (someone younger), incase Jags or Distin get injured while Yobo is at the African Cup Of Nations in January. Preferably someone like Steven Taylor from Newcastle, who is young and can play pretty much anywhere along the back line-but his reported £10 million price tag might put Moyes off. Another option would be David Wheater from Middlesbrough, though they probably wouldn't be to happy too part with another central defender after agreeing a deal for Robert Huth to go to Stoke yesterday.

After this I hope Moyes is looking at a right back and a right winger, so that Bilyaletdinov and Osman would be freed up to play centrally, and for more cover. For me a rumour listed in some papers around two weeks ago would be perfect, which was David Bentley and Alan Hutton from Tottenham to Everton for £12 million. I can almost hear you disagreeing as I write this but please, think about it. Bentley was thought of as the next David Beckham not long ago and you don't become a bad player over night. I think he still has a lot of potential and I believe we'd be getting a real bargain. Alan Hutton, who is only freed up after Tottenham gazumped our deal for Kyle Naughton. Hutton was also seen to have real potential and I think he would blossom under Moyes and he would also give healthy competition to, and cover for Tony Hibbert.

Thumbnail image for yakububoro.jpg

Also with the Yak coming on late against Sigma last night, along with Arteta and Jagielka hopefully being back for the derby in November they'll seem like new signings, though for me November wont come soon enough. But Evertonians, we can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

jagielkapen450.jpg

Evertonian Brothers and Sisters! Hear the gospel of the Moyesiah and Believe!