August 2009 Archives

Pienaar backs Heitinga to be hit for Blues

STEVEN PIENAAR is keeping his fingers crossed that he will receive a call in the next 24 hours to tell him he has been reunited with Johnny Heitinga.

Everton's influential midfielder played for five years in the same Ajax team as the man David Moyes is trying to sign before the transfer window closes.

Everton 2 Wigan 1 - Dominic King's verdict

The Echo's Everton writer on the Blues' first win of the season.

Everton Vs Wigan

By Peter Reed on Aug 31, 09 09:14 AM in Fans

So, this is my first post on the banter blog.
For most of the home games we'll be keeping a video blog, talking about some of the latest news (transfers) and how the games go.

Below is a video from the Wigan game. Remember, we are just regular fans like everyone else. So if you have similar thoughts to us, or if you completely disagree, it would be good to open some debate in the comments.

If you like the video, we have also recorded a few others up until this point.

Home defeat to Arsenal
Pre-season thoughts
FA Cup Final Vs Chelsea

Time To Bite Back

By Mike Reynolds on Aug 29, 09 03:56 PM in Fans

"Like a dog lying in the corner, it could bite ya and never warn ya"
Common People, Pulp.

The Lescott deal is finally done and dusted but, despite our speed in the transfer market, I still can't help feeling utterly betrayed. I've certainly not felt this way since we lost the last 'will he, won't he' transfer struggle, then I think back to that year; how the struggle led to anger and stubbornness - two things that re-invigorated our football club.

moyes010.jpg

Remember that year? That was when Moyes did what he does best: turning adversity into triumph. The season started miserably with that transfer (I still refuse to name that player) and a heavy defeat at home to Arsenal, before we got it together to go on an amazing run, eventually finishing fourth.

heitingab450.jpg

Everton closing in on Atletico Madrid's Dutch ace John Heitinga

EVERTON are hoping to seal a deal to make John Heitinga their third signing of a hectic week after agreeing a fee with Atletico Madrid.

New Everton signing Sylvain Distin says Blue is the colour

THE talk was of him becoming a Red but, for Sylvain Distin, the only colour he wanted to be was Blue.

DOMINIC KING: Could be time for Everton to cut out the riddle man

DECISIONS, decisions. Who would have thought the signing of a left winger could end up completely changing the identity of Everton's midfield?

* Check out the Echo's EFC channel for the very latest Everton news, views and content

THE deadline for the transfer window approaches, and it looks like being a familiar scenario for David Moyes with a frantic scramble towards Tuesday's 5pm cut-off.

But there has already been some good business conducted elsewhere in the last few days.

I have commented already on the bargain Steve Bruce got in Lee Cattermole and I think that Tony Pulis has done an equally good piece of business in signing Robert Huth and Tuncay Sanli for a reported £10million.

heitinga300.jpg

Everton agree deal for Holland international Johnny Heitinga

EVERTON have agreed a deal to sign Atletico Madrid right-back Johnny Heitinga as David Moyes steps up his recruitment drive ahead of Tuesday's transfer deadline.

Sylvain Distin looking forward to new challenge at Everton

FOR those supporters who have become restless at Everton's reluctance to echo many of their rivals and spend beyond their means, a reward of that long-term strategy was sat alongside David Moyes at Finch Farm yesterday.

* Check out the Daily Post's EFC channel for the very latest Everton news, views and content

IF you've ever left Christmas shopping until the last minute, you'll understand the perils of panic buying.

You dash around desperately, spend more than you intended and end up with something not as appropriate as you'd hoped you'd get.

Log on and take part in our Europa League live blog.

See who Everton are drawn against and leave your comments on the clubs the Blues will be facing.

Thumbnail image for lescott.jpg

JOLEON LESCOTT stopped short of saying he'd joined a bigger club - after all, his new manager had already done that for him.

But the inference was clear at Wednesday's press conference.

"Everyone outside the top four is aiming for the same thing, but I think City are better equipped to get there faster than Everton," said Lescott.

Bilyaletdinov450.jpg

Everton's new signings in the last few days have provided a light at the end of the tunnel in this long transfer window.

Evertonians have been worried whether we will bring in any reinforcements whatsoever but the signing of Diniyar Bilyaletdinov is exciting and one only has to plug his name into you tube to envision him adding a lot to Everton's team, a certain creativity which we have been missing.

1 2 ... 7 Next