Team must help Marouane Fellaini more, says David Moyes

By Nick Smith on Oct 30, 08 09:40 AM in Journalists

fellaini200.jpg

DAVID MOYES hailed Marouane Fellaini for "carrying us along" as his record signing scored the winning goal at Bolton last night.

The Belgian pounced in the last minute at the Reebok to give Everton their first win in nine games and a first Premier League success since September 14.

It was Fellaini's third goal in four appearances and, after his header rescued a point against Manchester United on Saturday, he ensured his team were able to capitalise on the confidence built up by that performance with a vital three points.

And on the contribution of the 20-year-old Belgian, Everton manager Moyes admitted: "We should have been the ones helping him. But at the moment he is carrying us along with his goals.

"So we have to give him a lot of credit for what he is doing just now, his goals are seeing us through.

"He's come into a side that hasn't been playing particularly well and, for a boy, he has done well so three goals is a decent return at this stage of the season for any midfield player.

"But we want our centre-forwards and people like Tim Cahill, when he comes back into it, to start getting their share of goals as well."

Cahill returned after missing the previous three league games through suspension but was restricted to a 26-minute substitute's appearance as Moyes named an unchanged side from the one that drew with United.

During the Australian's absence, Fellaini has thrived in terms of getting on the end of crosses - just one of the reasons why Moyes is delighted with the increased options he now has after the threadbare squad he was restricted to when the campaign kicked off.

"I thought the boys on Saturday played well and I want some competition because I haven't had much of that this season," he said.

"It's good that we have midfield players who can score goals now.

"But we had a good performance and result against Man United and we've won our next game away from home so we've had five games away from home, won three and drawn one.

"Now we need to transfer that form into results at Goodison and hopefully we will kick on and move up.

"We are beginning to get more players fit and if some don't play well, it gives me the chance to change it now."

Moyes also enjoyed his first clean sheet of the season - and first for 18 games since the 1-0 win over Derby County six months ago.

And after a start to the season which left his side with the worst defensive record in the Premier League, the manager was only too willing to credit his back four for setting up the victory.

"Our defenders and goalkeeper gave us the chance to do it because we kept a clean sheet," Moyes added.

"It was our first of the season so they kept us in it until the last minute."

Meanwhile, under-fire Bolton manager Gary Megson admitted his side are "obviously in trouble".

The defeat leaves Bolton second from bottom in the Premier League and asked about the negative reaction of the crowd at the final whistle, Megson said: "That wasn't unexpected to be perfectly honest with you.

"We've played 10 games, we've got eight points and we're obviously in trouble.

"We've got to start winning games. That's the sixth game we've not managed to score and that will always cause you problems.

"When the opportunities come along we haven't taken them and that's always going to put you in a position where you are struggling.

"We spoke about it in the dressing room where everyone has to stay together, which they are, but I'm preaching to the converted.

"Everyone has to stay together - regardless of what they see, hear or read."