Everton declare: Hands off Andy Johnson

By David Prentice on Jun 27, 08 12:22 PM in Journalists

andrewjohnson.jpg

EVERTON have declared that striker Andy Johnson is 'not for sale.'

The Blues England forward has been the subject of fierce speculation this week.

Sunderland were reported to have bid £10m for his services, with six other Premier League clubs said to be monitoring his position today.

But chairman Bill Kenwright declared that the Blues have no plans to cash in on a player who only signed a new contract last season.

"David (Moyes) and I obviously talk three or four times a day regarding his transfer targets.

"He has asked me today to confirm what I already knew: that Andrew Johnson is not for sale."

The player himself was believed to be concerned at the number of stories speculating about his departure and will be reassured by the Blues' public stance.

After top scoring for the club in his first season at Goodison, Johnson struggled with injuries last term, but still got into double figures for the campaign.

Everton, meanwhile, say there are no plans to snap up Leicester's 18-year-old left back Joe Mattock, contrary to reports in today's media.