Charity race in honour of Everton legend Alan Ball

By Dominic King on Apr 26, 08 08:37 AM in Journalists

YESTERDAY marked the first anniversary of Alan Ball's untimely passing but his memory continues to burn brightly in the mind of Evertonians.

It is well known that Ball had three passions in his life - his family, football and horse racing - and plans are afoot to stage a raceday in his honour next month at Goodwood and the feature contest could not have a more fitting title.

Charlie McCann, mad Evertonian and head of PR at bookmakers Stan James and Bet Direct, is the driving force behind the day, which will be staged on Wednesday, May 21, and the proceeds from the 'Evertonians Remember Alan Ball' race will go to charity.

"A couple of days before Alan passed away, I had a phone call from Rob McCaffery, who had been at function with him and Chris Kamara," said Charlie, taking up the story. "Alan had been saying that a horse called Shot Gun was a certainty for a race at Epsom.

"Anyway, it was declared to run on the day he died, so I had £50 on and Shot Gun duly won easily at 10-1. I said that day I would give the money back for a race in Alan's honour and hopefully it will come to fruition at Goodwood.

"The day at Goodwood, which was Alan's favourite track, will be held in his honour but we want the race to be called the 'Evertonians Remember Alan Ball' handicap but maybe supporters can come up with better?

Charlie is also trying to arrange for losing bets to be refunded if a horse 8 or 7 (Alan's Everton and England numbers) wins. More info from Charlie on 0207 257 8449 or by email on cmccann@stanjames.com.